Caring and Competent Representation Across New Mexico

Can I get compensation if I’m partially at fault for a crash in New Mexico?

On Behalf of | Apr 15, 2021 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

Whether you drive infrequently or you drive on a daily basis, there is a strong chance that you will be involved in a car accident at some point in your life. It is therefore a good idea to prepare yourself for dealing with the aftermath of a collision. When it comes to legal and insurance matters, determining fault for the crash will play a big part in whether you receive financial compensation for your injuries.

New Mexico and the concept of pure comparative negligence

Seeking compensation for a personal injury starts with figuring out who was at fault — and to what degree either party was negligent. In these matters, New Mexico follows the rule of pure comparative negligence, which means that if you were partially at fault for the crash, the compensation you can receive is reduced by your percentage of fault in causing your injuries.

For example, if you’re determined to be 60% liable for the crash, you can still seek compensation for the remaining 40% of the fault that was placed on the other driver. If your damages come to a total of $100,000, in this scenario you could seek $40,000 in compensation.

The importance of strong advocacy during the legal process

Determining liability and seeking compensation after a car accident is a normal process. However, whether you receive the compensation you need will depend largely on the attorney you choose to represent you. If you are unsure about your options after a crash, it’s a good idea to contact a local attorney about your case.