Caring and Competent Representation Across New Mexico

What if I get in an accident on an ATV with no insurance?

by | Apr 4, 2018 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

Even though ATVs and other off-road vehicles are often not legally permitted on roads and highways, many outdoor enthusiasts make the mistake of considering ATVs the same as cars. However, ATV law is extremely complicated, and ATVs are not registered the same way cars are. In fact, if you are an uninsured driver, you may face significant difficulties after an ATV accident. This is especially true if you collide with a car on a New Mexico street.

New Mexico sets out specific laws for the use and registration of off-highway motor vehicles, or OHVs. Technically ATVs and other OHVs should not be operated by an unlicensed, uninsured driver, or by underage drivers without specific motorcycle or driver’s permits. However, many people ignore this and use OHVs as recreational vehicles or farm vehicles, often allowing unlicensed, uninsured or underage drivers to use them without supervision. If you should get into an accident under these conditions, you may have little recourse for recovery of personal inijury.

Even more, if that accident involves a collision with a motor vehicle on or near public streets, you may face fines and penalties for violating OHV law. Driving an OHV on or near public roads is immensely dangerous, and can result in significant or catastrophic injury in the event of a motor vehicle collision when OHVs do not offer as much coverage, protection, or impact cushioning as typically much larger motor vehicles.

This blog post is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice.