Caring and Competent Representation Across New Mexico

What if the driver who hit me doesn’t have enough insurance?

by | Feb 2, 2018 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

In New Mexico, drivers are required to have the minimum of liability auto insurance. However, if you suffer serious injuries in an accident, your medical expenses and other financial losses could far exceed the other driver’s minimum required insurance coverage.

So what are your options after a crash with an uninsured or underinsured driver?

Explore all of the relevant insurance policies and possible sources of compensation.

This is how minimum auto liability insurance breaks down in New Mexico:

  • $25,000 for injury to or death of one person
  • $50,000 for injury to or death of two or more people
  • $10,000 for property damage in a single accident

After a serious accident, the cost of a single hospital stay could come to tens of thousands of dollars — or more — especially if surgery or other major treatment was needed. If this is your situation, you may have insurance options through your own policy, particularly in the form of underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage.

Even when they have this kind of insurance, many people are not aware of it. When you buy insurance, you have the option of adding underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage, which can also be used in the event of a hit-and-run accident.

These kinds of insurance claims can be very complex, though, and it is recommended that you speak with a lawyer with experience in these matters. A personal injury attorney can assess your case, review the insurance policies and help you maximize your compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, lost earning capacity, pain, suffering and other costs resulting from the accident.